Saturday, December 8, 2012

Working on a Darkroom

I am trying to make a darkroom. Right now I am interested in developing Liquid Light and Ilford Direct Positive Paper. Sometime later maybe I'll try black and white film.

I am setting up our laundry room. It has a sink and only one window and one door. I made a wooden frame that fits around the window. I stapled two sheets of 6 mil black plastic (from Lowes) over the frame. I drilled 1/8" holes midway on each side of the frame (left and right). These holes penetrate the window moulding as well. I insert a nail in each hole to hold the frame to the window. It seems to block the light quite nicely.

For the door I used 3/8" x 1/4" foam weatherstripping on the latch and hinge sides. This worked very well for me. For the large gap at the bottom I trimmed a piece of foam sold as "Window Air Conditioner Weatherstripping" such that I could stuff it under the door. It works well. You could just use a towel or duct tape.

I believe I have my darkroom dark enough. I am getting all the other stuff ready now. Pretty soon I'll give it a try.