Tuesday, May 7, 2013

The Importance of Notes in Nature Photography


I have discovered more than once the importance of taking notes and multiple shots in
nature photography. In my case it is usually flower or plant photography. The number one reason is that it gives you a chance to identify the subject. Even if you think you will know by the image, it is wise to record the following:

  1. Time of year
  2. Plant size
  3. Flower color/unusual features
  4. Location
  5. Leaf structure
  6. Soil type (clay, sandy, marsh, etc.)

There may be other features that are important. You can't record too much. Presently I am working on a cyanotype of a beautiful purple/blue flower. Unfortunately I do not know what type of flower it is. I do not know where I photographed it. Even if the image turns out magnificent, all I can do is label it "Purple/Blue Flower". Wish I had taken notes.

No comments:

Post a Comment