Sunday, May 12, 2013

Flowers Flowers Flowers Everywhere

It's spring in the southern US and the flowers are blooming. It has been an unusually wet spring and every thing is green and flowers offer great contrast. This post is about where do I find flowers to photograph. Here is my list (in no particular order).


1) Around the house - we have iris's, gerbera daisies, and other flowers around the house. This is certainly the most convenient.
2) Along the roadway - I have photographed many wonderful flowers along the roadway. When I spot something interesting, I pull over where it is convenient and safe and walk back to the spot where the flowers are located. Some of my favorite roadside flowers are bachelors buttons, red and pink clover, thistles, and many others.
3) Home and garden centers, nurseries - most keep there flowers out all the time and they are accessible for photography. I usually go early in the morning on a Sunday when they are not open and take some shots.
4) Entrances to housing developments - Many housing developments have beautified the entrances with flowering plants. Again - I find early morning to be less busy and the best time for photographing in these locations.
5) Businesses - Many business complexes have nice landscaping including flowers. I have found many nice flower opportunities here.
6) Cemeteries - After a deceased person is interred, many times flowers are left on the grave. I have payed my respects to people I don't know and photographed the flowers that were laid on their grave.
7) Public gardens - this one needs no explanation.
8) Private homes - just stop and ask
9) Churches - Some churches have flowers in their landscape scheme.
10) Main Streets - Nowadays, flowers are quite common.

I am in no way suggesting that you trespass on private property to photograph flowers. You have to determine the risks involved at any location. I have successfully photographed flowers in all of the locations above.

Be discreet and don't destroy anyone's property or flowers. Go out and photograph some flowers.


No comments:

Post a Comment