Saturday, February 16, 2013

Using Caffenol as Paper Developer

I have been doing some darkroom printing with Ultrafine VC ELITE Glossy Variable Contrast RC Paper. I have printed from film negatives, inkjet negatives, laserjet negatives and paper negatives. I typically develop with Dektol, but was interested in trying Caffenol. I like the coffee stain look on the prints and I don't have to worry about disposing of the developer. And it's relatively cheap. Last night I made a couple of prints from a paper negative printed on laser printer. I developed in the following solution:

8 oz water
2 tsp washing soda (Arm and Hammer)
4 tsp instant coffee

I exposed for approximately 1 sec. I was amazed how quickly they appeared in the developer, less than 1 min. I washed under water for about a minute then dipped the paper in fixer for 2-3 minutes.

I like the look of the results and must do more. 


Caffenol Developed Print from Inkjet Negative - Prometheus Moth

No comments:

Post a Comment