Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Evernote for photographers

Evernote (http://www.evernote.com/about/learn_more/) is a program which allows you to capture and store information. The information can orginate in many places. You can capture images and screens from the web. You can store pdf files. You can import text files or images. You can type a note directly in Evernote.
The beauty of Evernote is the syncing via the Evernote website. This means that you can have a local Evernote database on multiple computers and sync them all together, so that the same info exists everywhere. Very cool indeed. 
Evernote is offered in 2 versions, a free version and a paid version. The free version limits data collection to 40Mb per month. The paid version expands this amount and adds a few more features. I only have the free version and it works fine for me.
You can create multiple notebooks. So I have notebooks like: Interesting Photos, Creativity Ideas, Photography Tips, etc. You can also tag each note. The is a search function as well. All of this is neat stuff.
What can a photographer use Evernote for?
1) I store copies of art and photography that I find on the web in a notebook. This allows me to come back to these images later for inspiration. They are stored as images, not links, so they will always be there.
2) I copy photoshop tutorials and put them in a notebook for later use.
3) I copy photo tips and tutorials and put them in a notebook for later use.
4) I keep camera manuals, lens information, and other personal equipment information in a notebook.
I have additional notebooks for Recipes, Journal, Work, etc. The uses are limitless.
I find Evernote to be a very useful tool for gathering and indexing photographic information. I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment