Saturday, January 2, 2010

Ownuser Camera External Battery Holder for Olympus E30

I received a Battery Grip for my Oly E30 as a Christmas present :-) from my wonderful wife. This is a good addition for the camera. It can be found at:

OwnUser

Pros:

1) Battery life - 2 batteries gives exceptional battery life.
2) Portrait shutter button - shooting in the vertical mode is easier with the additional shutter button.
3) Shutter and aperture control in portrait position.
4) Remote cable
5) IR remote

Cons:

1) Can't use remote cable with recently constructed "L" bracket.
2) No rubber or cork on bottom for friction mounting on tripod. - Seems like this would be standard.
3) A wee bit of wobble in the fit to the camera.

It also came with an external battery pack which can be loaded with "AA" cells as an additional power source. I have not used this feature yet, but with it, you should never run out of power for the camera. The external 9V power connector is a more conventional connector than the one that comes on the E30, so using an external AC power adapter might be easier as well.

I think this is a great deal.

Added 10 Jan 10: I used the external battery pack with 8 rechargeable AA cells today. It worked fine. The cells must be fully charged or you won't get many shots. The cord from the pack to the camera is short, so I stored the pack in my coat pocket. The battery pack give you another power source.