Tuesday, May 10, 2022

First experience on xTool D1 laser cutter/engraver

After much deliberation I ordered a xTool D1 with 5W laser. It arrived promptly (from Amazon) and was well packaged. All parts were accounted for and assembly took a little over 1/2 hour. My first project was to print some photos on basswood plywood. I used Laserbox Basic software for this. My first images were a little dark. With some experimentation I got a good idea of how to set up my images to get good results. I was anxious to do some cutting. I tried cardstock at first. This cut easily and the detail that is achievable is amazing. Next I wanted to do some line art on plywood. I printed a couple of mandalas that I had downloaded for free. I set up the laser to generate deep contrasty lines. These turned out well. Then I moved on to cutting plywood. I found some nice mandala templates and cut the designs. I was surprised and happy at the result as there were some small details that cut out well. The images below show some of my results. These were all cut from 1/16" basswood plywood. I use a hex mesh as a panel to place the work on. For paper and thin woods I use magnets to keep the work in place and flat. I purchased Lightburn software. This gives me a lot more functionality than the Laserbox Basic that comes with the laser. I have 3 suggestions for new users. I made a sign and put above my laser. Remember to: 1) Set the laser height (focus) 2) Position the work away fromthe edges of the work area 3) Use something (Magnets) to hold work items flat.

No comments:

Post a Comment