Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Lithophanes (LPs) on the Ender 3 Pro

My son bought an Ender 3 Pro sometime ago and printed a few toy figures and then it collected dust for a while. I got the printer and set it up in my mancave to try and print lithophanes. The printer had been upgraded with a glass bed.

As this was the first 3d printing of any kind that I had attempted I knew it was going to be a learning experience. First attempts were with the LP flat down on the bed. I had serious issues with sticking to the bed and the edges curling up. I later learned this wasn't the best way to print LPs because of loss of detail. 

Next I tried printing with the LP standing up in the X position. I added a brim in hopes of getting the LP to stick. But I was unsuccessful. After about half way through the LP toppled over. Still had a sticking problem. 

After cleaning, leveling and applying glue to the bed I tried again. This time I oriented the LP in the Y position. I could not successfully finish a print due to sticking problems.

I decided to put the original bed plate on top of the glass plate and try printing this way. After leveling and cleaning the surface I gave it a go. I printed in with the LP long edge in the Y position with a 8mm brim. And it WORKED! I was elated to have printed a LP of one of my photos. But there was one issue. The bottom edge was bowed down in the center. Since I had a frame around the LP it didn't affect the image but it was distracting to me. I set out to try an fix this anomaly. However, after checking the bed for flatness and leveling again, I still had the problem.

Note: I used a small rabbet plane to straighten this edge.

I happily printed many LPs using this setup.


No comments:

Post a Comment