Monday, May 9, 2016

Continuing Konuspot 80 Digiscoping adventures

Since the last post on the Konuspot 80 I have purchased and received a T-ring adapter for my Olympus OMD-EM1. Now I can mount the camera directly on the scope. This immediately makes life easier. The next thing I did was to mount the scope on my best tripod/ballhead combination. This greatly improved the steadiness of the image.


Sadly, it seems the Rose Breasted Grosbeaks were just passing through and now that I am ready to take their picture they are gone. Oh well. To test out the new setup I tried some flower shots. The biggest problem here is that our climate in SC has changed. Now we have day after day of dry air with lots of wind, unlike the usual humid and still days. While absolutely beautiful weather, it makes capturing flower images at high magnification challenging.


I did take some test shots. Most were soft. I bumped up the ISO to get a higher shutter speed. Even so, focusing on a moving target is near impossible.


The results were mostly soft as I said. There was movement is some which I liked – kind of a dreamy artsy look. Nonetheless, I am waiting for calmer days.


One thing I did not expect was that I cannot use Live View on the EM1 when it is attached to the scope. I was hoping and assumed it would work. I guess since the camera does not recognize a lens is attached it will not do Live View. A perusal of the manual is in order.


In the meantime I have ordered T-ring adapters for my other cameras, the Olympus E30 and Pentax K30. With these adapters I can leave a camera on the scope all the time.