Sunday, September 1, 2013

The Fig Tree.

In my mother-in-laws' yard is a yellow fig tree. I have been watching this tree for two reasons. One is to eat some figs when they are ready. The other is to observe the abundance of activity from insects, birds and other animals. I am amazed. For starters the rotting figs provide food for numerous insects such as bees, wasps, hornets, and flies. I have seen butterflies, like the red spotted purple, southern pearly eye, question mark, and hackberry emperor. At night, numerous species of moths come to the figs, drawn by their sweet fermenting juice. Squirrel s enjoy the fruit as well. So do cardinals and bluejays. The ruby throated hummingbird enjoys the juice as well. I am sure there are other things drawn to the tree that I have not seen. One ancient tree, providing antioxidants for so many. Nature at her best.

No comments:

Post a Comment