Monday, January 9, 2012

My Kindle Fire Review - Part 1

I received a Kindle Fire as a Christmas present. I have been using it for about 3 weeks now. Here are my impressions so far.

The Fire is heavy. It is constructed with very clean lines. All joints were tightly fit. Only one button for power. There is a USB connection for charging the battery and transferring data. There is also a ear phone jack. Battery life is good. I also received a cover. This cover can be made into a stand for watching movies and videos.

The Fire runs Amazon’s version of the Android operating system. I do not like the bookshelf view of icons and the way you choose apps or books. I would prefer icons for getting around but for now, this is not available.

Once a book is loaded, I find the reading experience very good with Kindle formatted books (mobi). Only books downloaded from Amazon are shown on your bookshelves, others are shown in the document shelves. I have downloaded pdf books and viewed satisfactorily on the Fire, although the page size may exceed the screen. I have also downloaded books from the Gutenberg Project and read on the Fire with success.

The Fire comes with 8 gigabyte memory, not all of which is available for books. This is not really a limitation, because you can store your books and music on the Amazon cloud if you desire.

Surfing the web is ok. Somewhat slow at times. But usable.

The built in email client works well with any pop3 or imap account.

In Part 2 I will discuss how I use the video and photo apps for my photography.

No comments:

Post a Comment