Thursday, January 14, 2010

Free "Diagram Designer" program as lighting diagram drawing program


I have recently been interested in creating some lighting diagrams. I looked at an online tool, Online Lighting Diagram Creator, by Quoc Huy . It's OK and adequate for some. Being the geek, I wanted something more, something I could control, build, and expand. I had already been using Meesoft's free Diagram Designer program at work. I like it a lot. One feature of the program is that it allows you to create your own symbol templates. I went to work creating some lighting objects. Here is a picture of a simple lighting diagram created with Diagram Designer and the symbols I created.
Text and other symbols can be added at will, making this a useful tool. You can also insert images, so you can add an image to illustrate the lighting setup. The diagram can be printed from the software.
The program is a little crude in the way that text is formatted. But once you do it a few times it becomes easier. It is free after all.
One drawback of the program is that it can only export diagram as a pdf file. I use a screen capture program to save the diagram as a jpeg.

No comments:

Post a Comment