Monday, July 20, 2009

Photo expectations on a family outing

Like many of you, I take my camera on family trips. This past weekend, we took a one day trip to Twin Falls, in the Eastatoe Valley of South Carolina. I had been there before in the winter, and was anxious to see it in the summer greenery. It was a clear day, with blue skies and puffy white clouds. There was low humidity and it was quite comfortable.
 
I didn't plan this as a photography outing even though I took my cameras. I forgot my tripod. We arrived at midday. There was a 1/4 mile walk to the site and I didn't carry my pack, only my two cameras. So I didn't have my ND filters, or polarizing filter. Hence most shots have blown highlights. I did set up the camera for a few HDR images. But with out the tripod and ND filters, there was no smoothing of the water over the rocks. Only bright sparkly shots.
 
The reason to write this is to say that I shouldn't expect great eye catching photographs from this outing. I admit that I did have hope that even though not properly planned and executed, I would have a few interesting shots. I got maybe one out of one hundred.
 
There's nothing wrong with this approach. The time with the family and nature was very good. Just don't be too disappointed if there aren't any amazing shots at the end of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment